React Native Developer - London
Journey is a team of digital specialists. We love what we do and we do it well. We look after each other and have fun together. We create customer experiences that build loyalty, drive sales and deliver insight. Through a blend of consulting, design and coding, we create websites, mobile apps and software for national and international clients.
Embracing, sharing and living our company values is a core part of your position description.
- Learn Why: For us, it’s important that we all learn about everything we do, and the reason for why we do it – from knowing our clients’ customers and understanding what their business is about, right through to knowing how all our individual tasks contribute to the end goal.
- Be Prepared: Being prepared in everything we do is a key value for us as it all comes back to respect – respecting our clients and each other by being ready before meetings, briefings and communications.
- Never Settle: We place importance on having the drive to improve. We’re constantly striving to elevate the quality of our work and, ultimately, the results we achieve for our clients and the customer journey.
- Be a Radiator: We want to exude positive energy, even in the face of massive challenges. We want to see our people become contagious, inspirational leaders in their own respect.
WHAT’S THE ROLE ABOUT?
We are looking for a React Native developer interested in building performant mobile apps on both the iOS and Android platforms. You will be responsible for architecting and building these applications, as well as coordinating with the teams responsible for other layers of the infrastructure. Each Journey Digital project is a highly-collaborative effort, and – as such – a strong team player with a commitment to excellence is required.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Build pixel-perfect, buttery smooth UIs across both mobile platforms.
- Leverage native APIs for deep integrations with both platforms.
- Diagnose and fix bugs and performance bottlenecks for performance that feels native.
- Reach out to the open source community to encourage and help implement mission-critical software fixes (React Native moves fast and often breaks things).
- Maintain code and write automated tests to ensure the product is of the highest quality.
- Integrate third-party APIs.
- Write unit and integration tests.
- Release applications to the Apple and Google Play stores.
- Work with native modules when required.
- Work within both waterfall and Scrum methodologies.
- Assist with building estimates.
- You need to be a highly-motivated, organised and passionate person with a keen eye for detail.
- You’ll be willing to tackle demanding tasks and take responsibility for actions, using your initiative to make suggestions and work to make things happen.
- You have a curious and driven nature, always wanting to keep up-to-date with coding and technological trends.
- You’ll have a strong desire to learn and to share your knowledge with your team. In addition, you’ll be flexible enough to adapt your approach to different team members, helping to motivate and inspire with a positive attitude.
- You’ll have the ability to take extreme ownership over your work and perform to the expectations you and your team have agreed upon, both in regards to estimates and to the general process.
- You’ll have a positive mindset, a can-do attitude and forensic attention-to-detail.
- You’ll have a high level of written and spoken English language skills.
- You’ll be comfortable working with an extended agency team based in Auckland, New Zealand, and be flexible to work across timezones where required.
Essential skills and experience:
- The ability to build apps that feel truly native while using web technologies that are familiar to a wide range of developers.
- Focus on the front end of the product with understanding of the API services and infrastructure with which the app needs to integrate.
- Strength in working with third-party dependencies and debugging dependency conflicts.
- Familiarity with native build tools, like XCode, Gradle, etc.
- Understanding of REST APIs, the document request model, and offline storage.
- Experience with automated testing suites, such as Jest or Mocha.
Ideal skills and experience:
- 2+ years of professional experience working with React Native.
- 4+ years of professional software development experience.
- Experience working with Swift, Objective C, and Kotlin/Java a plus but not required.
- Meaningful experience working on large, complex systems.
KEY RELATIONSHIPS FOR THIS ROLE ARE: