Back-End Developer (.NET) - Auckland
Journey is a team of digital specialists based in Auckland and London. We love what we do and we do it well. We look after each other and have fun together. We create customer experiences that build loyalty, drive sales and deliver insight. Through a blend of consulting, design and coding, we create websites, mobile apps and software for national and international clients.
Embracing, sharing and living our company values is a core part of your position description.
- Learn Why: For us, it’s important that we all learn about everything we do, and the reason for why we do it – from knowing our clients’ customers and understanding what their business is about, right through to knowing how all our individual tasks contribute to the end goal.
- Be Prepared: Being prepared in everything we do is a key value for us as it all comes back to respect – respecting our clients and each other by being ready before meetings, briefings and communications.
- Never Settle: We place importance on having the drive to improve. We’re constantly striving to elevate the quality of our work and, ultimately, the results we achieve for our clients and the customer journey.
- Be a Radiator: We want to exude positive energy, even in the face of massive challenges. We want to see our people become contagious, inspirational leaders in their own respect.
WHAT’S THE ROLE ABOUT?
As a critical member of our team you’ll apply your impressive back end skills to develop and deliver solutions for a variety of online projects ranging from immersive websites to APIs. You’ll work directly with some great local and international companies as an architect, engineer and builder of tools that enable our clients to change and grow.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Your day-to-day activities will typically include:
- Project planning.
- Software design and architecture (for senior-level developers).
- Reviewing pull requests (for senior-level developers).
- Writing clean, maintainable code based on SOLID principles.
- Bug fixing and support work.
- Hosting maintenance.
- Testing your own work.
- Involvement in process improvement.
- Liaising with the design and development teams to ensure understanding of the initial feature requirements.
- Reviewing new features and improvements against their original requirements, including having an awareness of the interconnectedness of different functions within the product, and testing other relevant and related functions.
- Being able to lead technical solutions using your extensive experience and identifying opportunities for improvement.
- You need to be a highly-motivated, organised and passionate person with a keen eye for detail.
- You’ll be willing to tackle demanding tasks and take responsibility for actions, using your initiative to make suggestions and work to make things happen.
- You have a curious and driven nature, always wanting to keep up-to-date with coding and technological trends.
- You’ll have a strong desire to learn and to share your knowledge with your team. In addition, you’ll be flexible enough to adapt your approach to different team members, helping to motivate and inspire with a positive attitude.
- You must excel at managing delivery, with a keen ability to define team and project objectives including expectations and deadlines and monitor the progress of your projects against targets.
- You will use your strong oral and written communication skills to build rapport with internal and external stakeholders on your projects. You will be a good listener, but also highly-persuasive, using facts, clear arguments and personal conviction to influence and persuade others.
Essential skills and experience:
- Developing across full stack, and in particular back end systems using a combination of .NET, .NET Core, MVC and SQL.
- Writing and executing unit and integration testing.
- Managing multiple projects in a fast-paced, time-sensitive, results-oriented, web-based development environment and an understanding of what's required to get the job done.
- The entire lifecycle of digital development from Information Architecture to prototyping, to user testing to internal testing and bug-fixing.
Ideal skills and experience:
- Complex API and CMS development (ideally Umbraco or Kentico).
- OO design patterns and SOLID design principles.
- Software design and architecture.
- Azure or AWS.
- DevOps (Azure DevOps or similar).
- Microsoft certification would be an advantage.